Is it me or does it seem that life just carries on? Was it him who said that life is just a song? I don't know what will keep me on this little Earth. I just might use the love that's all in the dirt.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Romeo & Juliet...Verona Style

Today (Wednesday) the Tesser (my roomie) and I woke up early to clean before the maids came. Yes, we've turned into those people. Normally, we wouldn't do this, however we had managed to turn our room into a zoo. The kitchen was destroyed. We ate chicken last night with spoons because we didn't have any more clean forks and didn't want to do dishes. It looks like we threw a dinner party...but only for ourselves. Last week, the maids were knocking on our door promptly at 9. It is now 9:45 and they haven't showed up yet. In other news, this is what's been going on here in Verona.

Tesser's mom, Deb, arrives today. It is our second batch of parents, and it is always fun to meet the rents. And by meeting the rents, we learn a little bit more about our friends. Mom, everyone is excited to meet you, too!

The class I'm taking is getting more and more interesting. I don't have much trouble paying attention in class, so I know I'm enjoying it more. I feel bad because those taking the other class are always in their room reading or studying or working on one of their projects. It's just not fair that we are out enjoying the springtime weather in Verona (and by enjoying the springtime weather I really mean eating lots gelato and hanging out around downtown) and they are stuck here at the swanky residence al adige. Hopefully the next block of classes will be a little more even in terms of school work.

Speaking of gelato...We were at Patagonia (ironic that I love the brand Patagonia and the gleateria Patagonia) the other day and I heard a group of American high schoolers with one of their moms (I'm assuming) ask if they should get gelato there. I, having tried a few gelato places, turn to them and say, "This is the best place in town for gelato." They look happy that someone is speaking english. So, they get in line and I ask them, "Where are ya'll from?" I think the ya'll threw them off and they answered, "United States." I think to myselfShocking. You're wearing hollister and abercrombie everything and you don't think I know you're from the states. AND I'm speaking perfect (ok, "southern") english. But, being the patient person I am, I asked them where, they said Maine and I replied saying I'm from Georgia. They looked a little taken aback that there would be an American in Verona other than them. Oh well, they were entertaining to talk to while I waited for my gelato. And made for a funny story...kind of.

While we were out strolling around, with our gelato of course, we stopped by the opera house. And last night, we went to see Romeo & Juliet. I was expecting a traditional (or what one would think of when you hear opera) performance. I couldn't have been more wrong. Everything was Romeo & Juliet go clubbing. Ok, to put it in better terms, it was modern Romeo & Juliet. The costumes were normal 'street' clothes. It was a little difficult to follow, especially since the sub-titles were in Italian, but it was entertaining. It last for three and a half hours! In the last hour, Juliet sang the entire time! Their voices were incredible and everyone that went enjoyed it, including me.

This weekend, I am staying in Verona to experience my hometown. I have never been here on a weekend, and I am definitely looking forward to it. I wish I could say I will be catching up on schoolwork, but schoolwork does not exist right now. It is supposed to be nice weather, so a trip to Lake Garda might be on the list of things to do. Anyway, it will be nice to relax a little before our week and half journey to Florence, Rome, then on to Valencia and Barcelona!

No comments:

Post a Comment