Is it me or does it seem that life just carries on? Was it him who said that life is just a song? I don't know what will keep me on this little Earth. I just might use the love that's all in the dirt.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Remember that time I fell in love with Paris...




You know that our travels went well, so here's the rest about our fabulous trip to Paris. We arrived Thursday night and met tons of Americans on the bus to the center of town. We took a taxi to our hostel, The Three Ducks, and checked in. We knew it was too late and we were too tired to try and figure out the metro station and a taxi was way easier. There were nine of us and we had a 'dorm' style room for 10 people. There was not a random 10th person, thank goodness. We knew it wasn't going to be a spectacular hostel, but the location was great, and the price was great (even for Paris). But it was a little worse than we expected. Never let the boys do the research again...So, I bought my sheets (a sometimes common thing among hostels) and sucked it up. There was a bar in the hostel that doubled as the reception desk and we decided to have a much needed drink. The next day we were headed out to explore Paris!

We woke up, didn't shower (how about didn't shower the entire weekend), and headed to Angelina. Brooke, one of the girls in our travel group, had a friend who had spent a lot of time in Paris who wrote out a bunch of things we should do/see/eat/etc. Angelina is where Coco Channel drank this hot chocolate drink every day. I had a ham, cheese, and mushroom omlet. It was delicious. When I went to college I started eating eggs, and now I've started eating mushrooms in Italy...Back to the hot chocolate. It was delicious!


After our extremely filling meal, we walked around to see what we would find. We headed towards the Louvre (knowing we were going there that night) and headed down to the Arc to Triumph. We stumbled upon the DIOR fashion show that was just letting out. It was something like fashion week in Paris...? Some of the best people watching ever. It was a great walk down the Champs Elysees (one of the most famous streets in the world) and very windy and cold. The Arc was incredible and so big! Some of the group headed off to shop, and the rest of us grabbed a snack and headed back towards the Louvre.


The Louvre was incredible. What a fantastic place. I bought my headset and started the journey. I enjoyed every minute of it. Seeing the Mona Lisa and all of the other famous things there was a really great experience. We grabbed a quick bite and headed back to the Three Ducks. We got ourselves ready to see what Paris night life had to offer. And Frog and Princess was the happening place. It was fun, almost as many Americans as French people, and they played American music.


Saturday, we got ourselves ready for THE Eiffel Tower. Sink shower once again and then we were off! I really liked going to the top. It was like looking out the window of an airplane. I was very happy the highest we could go was enclosed-it was freezing and windy. From the top we were able to see everything; even some of the 'other' statues of liberty. We were practically frozen afterwards, so a cup of coffee (tea for me) and some crepes were next up on the list of things to do.

We wanted to hit one more museum, the Musee de Orsy. But, when we got there, it was closed. I was a little bummed out, but decided I'll just have to come back to Paris one day. For dinner, we went to the Moulin Rouge district to try a foundu restaurant. They served wine in baby bottles and we had a great evening there! I really, really, really enjoyed my weekend in Paris. I like how organized the city it. It just makes sense to me. The metro station is practical and easy to use, there is so much to do, and the people are quite friendly (surprisingly).

Today (Monday), we started reviewing for our final that starts on Wednesday. It is a two-part exam that starts Wednesday afternoon and then the essay is Thursday morning. (Yes, we actually do take classes over here...) I definitely have some studying to do, but I'm not terribly worried about this exam. Katie Hardaway and I had gone to different places this weekend (she went to Belgium) so we decided to grab lunch. It was great to catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment