Is it me or does it seem that life just carries on? Was it him who said that life is just a song? I don't know what will keep me on this little Earth. I just might use the love that's all in the dirt.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Monday 2/22-First Day of Classes

Monday, we had our first day of class, Italian history of the Renaissance. I wasn't too sure what to expect, and I definitely was not ready for the Italian Mr. Rogers that walked into our classroom. Tony walked in (cardigan sweater and all) and was ancient. He taught Martin, our trip coordinator, when Martin was in the military. We know that Martin is 68, so I'm guessing that Tony is at least 75. His teaching style is unique. But I have to admit he is getting us to learn the material. His 'textbook' is all of his notes and some random articles. Everything is everywhere and there is zero organization. That is very similar to his teaching method. It is fun being in class with everyone. I wasn't expecting having class in the afternoon and was surprised when I found out we have to meet 3 days at 4 in the afternoon. I am enjoying the material so far and am even more looking forward to going to Florence and Rome in April. OH, and thanks for the easy A, Tony. He put every question (and the answer he is looking for) in the back of our book. Is this guy for reals?
During our break, I took a much needed nap, ate some lunch (the Italian chicken, cheese, and spinach was delicious), read up on Lucca and Siena (our travel destinations for the weekend), hung out with some friends, and skyped mom and dad for the first time. After our second class meeting of the day, a group of us stayed in the class room and ordered Pizza with Tony. Kari and I were trying desperately to find some pizza with meat. Since she lives with a vegetarian, she felt like we have been meat deprived. Without being able to read the menu, we didn't want to risk getting a pizza that ended up having a fish head or something crazy on it and went with a 5 cheese pizza. It was great. Tony told us a little bit about himself. His father came over from Italy and lived and worked in Chicago as a newspaper salesman. Tony has been all over teaching and met his wife in Canada. She is from Poland and they have an apartment there they visit all the time. He lives in Vacenzia (I'm not too sure on the spelling), and teaches on the military base there.
After hearing some stories from our teacher, Tony, we wanted to book another weekend. There is a group going to Paris the weekend after Lucca and Siena, and we decided to jump on it. I was one of the lucky ones who booked first so I got a cheap flight. Some of the others are going to wait it out to see if flights go back down, which we have heard that they do on RyanAir. After the travel discussions, Sammy played us some guitar and we all went our separate ways and headed to bed.

This morning we had our second day of class. I'm surprised how much of the information has already stuck. We are starting with Florence and learning all there is about it. I can't wait to see with my own eyes everything we have been talking about. My favorite religion class in high school was when we studied the old testament and now I'm thankful I paid attention. I know a lot more about the art since most of it is religious. (Thanks for the catholic education, mom and dad). Nana and Papa (I hope you have figured out how to read this), I can't wait to see all of the art work(because most of it is in churches) and I just realized how many wishes I will get to make with each new church I go into.
This afternoon Martin is taking us to a winery where we are doing a wine tasting and having dinner. I am very excited to see what it is like and hang out with the entire group. Before we leave I am going to try and knock out our assignment that is due on Thursday before we leave at 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment