Is it me or does it seem that life just carries on? Was it him who said that life is just a song? I don't know what will keep me on this little Earth. I just might use the love that's all in the dirt.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Remember that time we went to Lucca & Siena




We started our first big adventure by missing the first bus to the train station, thanks to the boys that took a little too long to pack after class. Not to worry however, we still made it with time to spare. Trains in Italia are the one thing that I really do not like about this country. I don't understand their system of not checking your ticket until you are on the train or halfway to your destination or they don't check it at all. And the whole "validating" it before you get on. I almost forgot one time and had to sprint before our train left. But our trip to Lucca went surprising very smoothley...unlike our trip home (more to come on that later).
Lucca was just the perfect quiet town. I didn't think Verona was very large, but compared to the places we saw this weekend, we are in a very metropolitan city. It was like getting away from the city for the weekend. We were tired from a full week of school, so we found our hostel, met up with the boys who were in a different hostel, and wandered to try and find somewhere to eat. Lucca is strange in the sense that there were very few options for dinner. We found a quick bite, and decided to stay in for the night. While the guys went and smoked cubans and drank their wine, us girls had a fun night in just chatting and deciding the plan for the next morning.
When we got up in the morning, it was not the first time we had been awoken. We had picked a place that was near what was probably the only commotion of Lucca, and had heard crashing and booming and all sorts of things throughout the night. And it was raining. Not a fantastic start to the day, but we got ready, and headed out to find our bar. I had the best chocolate crossaint (it was glazed and still warm) and was even able to practice my Italian with the man behind the counter. We found a church to wander through (see facebook photos) and explored around Lucca some more. Lucca was once surround completely by water. What is left now are the walls. It is actually a walled city and you have to enter through the walls to get inside. They have turned the tops of walls into somewhat like a walking track where people run, walk their dogs, or just hang out.
Lucca was beautiful and a nice escape, but we were excited to get to a more bustling town. And that is what we found in Siena. With train ease, we made it to Siena. Of course there was a McDonalds in a train station we passed through but of course we didn't have time to stop. My mouth was watering.
In Siena, we saw the other group that had stayed there the night before. They told us what we should do and some sights to be seen. We knew we were in a more happening town when we saw Americans in the train station. They were from Oklahoma University. We found our hostel and the woman who ran it was quite possibly the nicest person we've met thus far. She gave us restaurant recommendations, things we absolutely had to see, and even the things she thought we could skip. We got ready, and made our way to "Nonna's," which means grandmother. I was very excited to eat a really great meal. And that is exactly what I did. We ordered the house wine...of course...and some bruschetta while we waited for the rest of our group. The bruschetta was the best thing I have ever eaten in my entire life. (Nana cookies aside) I had pasta carbonara and it was also delicious. Afterwards, we wandered around to try and find a bar. The one discotecta that we had heard about wasn't open yet, so David and I wandered into a bar right next door while the others waited for it to open. And we made the right decision. We got our local beers, with our student IDs for a discount (Athens, could you do this please?) and headed for the back room where we heard music playing. Some Jimi Hendrix and The Who sung by Italian dudes. It was crazy how much they sounded like the originals but then when they spoke to the crowd, it was in Italian. It was a fun night with the group and I was looking forward to seeing more of Siena the next day. I am going to have to postpone the details of the rest of my weekend until tomorrow. I am way too tired and once you hear about our adventures coming home, you'll understand why I'm turning in for the night. But, I'll leave you with a cliffhanger for tomorrow's blog...seeing someone I know in the Pisa train station (who could it have been you're thinking!; being left at a random train station (I might have been alone, I might not have been), and McDonalds...and some shout outs:
1. Saw THE frat mobile. Yes, Frances, this ones for you. I saw your exact car, totally fratting hard in the streets of Siena.
2. Ang & Kristen: Everyone knows what a ranga is and points them out to me. if only I was quicker with the camera.
3. Mom&Dad: Thanks for sending me here...I'm having the time of my life!
4. Hans: Be thankful you don't live here, or else you would have to wear clothes.

1 comment:

  1. btw, mickey d's in foreign countries is so not the same as american. not bad, just different.

    ReplyDelete